Requirements: Driver's License Application
The following is applicable to a code B (old code 8) Driving License for light motor vehicles.
- Applicant must be a minimum of 18 years of age. Most testing stations, however, will allow an applicant to apply for a test date up to 3 months prior to their 18th birthday, providing that the testing station has suitable test dates available. The test date itself needs to be after the applicant's 18th birthday.
- Applicant must be in possession of a valid South African green bar-coded ID Book, an ID Card or South African Passport or Traffic Registration Number in the case of foreigners.
- Applicant must be in possession of a valid South African Learner’s License.
- Applicant must be able to provide proof of residence.
- Applicant must pass an eye test conducted by the testing station.
- Applicant must meet the health requirements as stipulated on the application form.
- Applicants over the age of 65 must provide a medical clearance certificate.
- Applicant must pay the prescribed application fee applicable for that province.